Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Three Weeks of .... (insert word here)!

Our three weeks start on Friday. We're entering the ever-expanding world of Internet Marketing. The internet is by far the fastest growing industry, and source of opportunity, out there and it will only get bigger. There are social networking sites popping up all over the place. I have upgraded and matured from MySpace and Facebook, to LinkedIn, for professional networking, and Twitter (which a lot of companies are now using to help increase the flow communication to their clientele).

How would I describe this experience? I'm speechless. There are no words to describe being in 2nd year PR, and tackling a real-world situation where we're competing with REAL PROFESSIONALS. Some of these people are on excess of $150K a year because they're so good at what they do. We knew absolutely nothing about AdWords (I didn't even know thats what those little boxes were!) - now we're immersed in a sea of knowledge and information.

I have learnt, from my position as a Marketing Manager, that there is no substitute for work experience. I feel that my job puts my worlds in front of my classmates because I deal with Integrated Marketing Communications all day long. I don't study a unit, and forget about it - out of site out of mind. The Google Challenge will place myself, Sarah and Tash, as well as our student buddies at ECU and around the world, in an absolutely fabulous position. This will give us a huge advantage over our competing job applicants in the future. This challenge has now inspired me to strive towards a role in Digital Marketing. I could do this for a living!
--Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment